Rubbing hands and feet with dust (Tayammum)
BOOK Sahi Al-Bukhari
Topic “Rubbing hands and feet with dust (Tayammum)”
330. Narrated ‘Aisha: (the wife of the Prophet) We set out with Allahs Apostle on one of his journeys till we reached Al-Baida’ or Dhatul-Jaish, a necklace of mine was broken (and lost). Allah’s Apostle stayed there to search for it, and so did the people along with him. There was no water at that place, so the people went to Abu- Bakr As-Siddiq and said, “Don’t you see what ‘Aisha has done? She has made Allah’s Apostle and the people stay where there is no water and they have no water with them.” Abu Bakr came while Allah’s Apostle was sleeping with his head on my thigh, He said, to me: “You have detained Allah’s Apostle and the people where there is no water and they have no water with them. So he admonished me and said what Allah wished him to say and hit me on my flank with his hand. Nothing prevented me from moving (because of pain) but the position of Allah’s Apostle on my thigh. Allah’s Apostle got up when dawn broke and there was no water. So Allah revealed the Divine Verses of Tayammum. So they all performed Tayammum. Usaid bin Hudair said, “O the family of Abu Bakr! This is not the first blessing of yours.” Then the camel on which I was riding was caused to move from its place and the necklace was found beneath it.
331. Narrated Jabir bin ‘Abdullah: The Prophet said, “I have been given five things which were not given to any one else before me. 1. Allah made me victorious by awe, (by His frightening my enemies) for a distance of one month’s journey. 2. The earth has been made for me (and for my followers) a place for praying and a thing to perform Tayammum, therefore anyone of my followers can pray wherever the time of a prayer is due. 3. The booty has been made Halal (lawful) for me yet it was not lawful for anyone else before me. 4. I have been given the right of intercession (on the Day of Resurrection). 5. Every Prophet used to be sent to his nation only but I have been sent to all mankind.
332. Narrated ‘Urwa’s father: Aisha said, “I borrowed a necklace from Asma’ and it was lost. So Allah’s Apostle sent a man to search for it and he found it. Then the time of the prayer became due and there was no water. They prayed (without ablution) and informed Allah’s Apostle about it, so the verse of Tayammum was revealed.” Usaid bin Hudair said to ‘Aisha, “May Allah reward you. By Allah, whenever anything happened which you did not like, Allah brought good for you and for the Muslims in that.” Al-Jurf and the time for the ‘Asr prayer became due while he was at Marbad-AnNa’am (sheep-fold), so he (performed Tayammum) and prayed there and then entered Medina when the sun was still high but he did not repeat that prayer.
333. Narrated Abu Juhaim Al-Ansari: The Prophet came from the direction of Bir Jamal. A man met him and greeted him. But he did not return back the greeting till he went to a (mud) wall and smeared his hands and his face with its dust (performed Tayammum) and then returned back the greeting.
334. Narrated ‘Abdur Rahman bin Abza: A man came to ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab and said, “I became Junub but no water was available.” ‘Ammar bin Yasir said to ‘Umar, “Do you remember that you and I (became Junub while both of us) were together on a journey and you didn’t pray but I rolled myself on the ground and prayed? I informed the Prophet about it and he said, ‘It would have been sufficient for you to do like this.’ The Prophet then stroked lightly the earth with his hands and then blew off the dust and passed his hands over his face and hands.”
335. Narrated Said bin ‘Abdur Rahman bin Abza: (on the authority of his father who said) ‘Ammar said so (the above Statement). And Shu’ba stroked lightly the earth with his hands and brought them close to his mouth (blew off the dust) and passed them over his face and then the backs of his hands. ‘Ammar said, “Ablution (meaning Tayammum here) is sufficient for a Muslim if water is not available.”
336. Narrated ‘Abdur Rahman bin Abza: that while he was in the company of ‘Umar, ‘Ammar said to ‘Umar, “We were in a detachment and became Junub and I blew the dust off my hands (performed the rolling over the earth and prayed.)”
337. Narrated ‘Abdur Rahman bin Abza: ‘Ammar said to ‘Umar “I rolled myself in the dust and came to the Prophet who said, ‘Passing dusted hands over the face and the backs of the hands is sufficient for you.’ ”
338. Narrated ‘Ammar: as above.
339. Narrated ‘Ammar: The Prophet stroked the earth with his hands and then passed them over his face and the backs of his hands (while demonstrating Tayammum).